Saturday, November 21, 2009


When I first heard the news of a DePaul student being killed, I was curious to know who it was and if I knew the person. I googled the incident and Frankie's face came up. I didn't know him but his face was familiar. It took all about to two seconds to realize where I had seen it before. He was one of a select few who was highlighted on DePaul University's homepage.

I felt sadness and remorse that a person who's light shone so brightly-had been abruptly extinguished.

As time passed and more information became public. It was clear that Frankie was more than just a typical college kid.

Frankie was an active member within the DePaul Community. He was constantly promoting change and social responsibility through VOICES, OMSA & The University's Ministry. He had recently been awarded the Lincoln Laureate, Illinois' most prestigious honor for a college student.

By society's standards Frankie should have been the one behind the gun. After all, he was a minority who came from a working class-single parent home. Instead, he choose not to succumb to society's ideals of what he should be. He was poised to become the first in his family to attend college. Frankie used his personal story of struggle to help other minority students push forward with their own college careers.

I come from a similar background and I can't say that I've accomplished half the things Frankie has. And I keep thinking 'What's my excuse?' Frankie showed through actions that it can be done

No comments:

Post a Comment